Monday, March 23, 2009

Things I am Grateful for RIGHT THIS MINUTE.

My Heavenly Father loves me. He loves me enough to guide me to a man who will love and care for me and my flaws. He loves me enough to rely on me to meet the needs of others. He loves me enough to test and try me to make me a better person. And He loves me enough to surround me with good friends who love me, and listen to the Spirit even when it's not an easy task.

I had a dear friend, one whom I love thoroughly, make time to come and see me today following a prompting that could only have come to her from the Lord. It took her out of her comfort zone, and she apologized. But the apology was unwarranted, as she left me with an invaluable gift.

A new perspective. In our church, as in most religions, we are taught that you can't take "it" with you when you go. The cars, houses, toys, and flat out money of this world is just that, of this world. There is only one thing that can go with our Spirits when we pass to the other side... our relationships. Consequently, our relationships, especially within our families, are of the utmost priority. "No other success can compensate for failure in the home." - Prophet David O. McKay. I knew that. I know it to be true in my heart and soul. But what I hadn't considered, then, was this:

If Heavenly Father wants to give one of His children a lasting, eternal gift while we are in this life, what would it be?

I have no greater gift than that of my children. They are my greatest joy, my life's work, and my life's greatest reward. They amaze me, they literally leave me in awe of them. How is it that I could have overlooked the concept that the Lord is not presenting me with new challenges, but is actually presenting me with a precious gift? A gift that, in His infinite wisdom, will last for an eternity.

Thank you for opening my eyes.

3 comments:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

sniff...

This is one of the reasons I am adjusting my views on what I want our family life to be like. The outside world doesn't matter nearly as much as the time we spend together.

Tara said...

Thanks for share. I've never looked at it in just that way, but as I began to read it, the Spirit really touched me... confirming truths already known and other things the Lord has been quietly helping me learn over the last few weeks.

Nicki said...

I am so happy for you guys. Like my mother always taught us, "A baby is ALWAYS a blessing...." I too, would like to thank this friend (I consider her one of mine, also) for following the spirit's prompting. I got that wonderful little chill when Marie shared this story with me this morning and I want you to know it has touched more lives than you know and made them better.

PS. Happy name picking! Maybe you could have a "name my baby" contest. lol