Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Last night was a doozy...

My kids are convinced of Santa now. After yesterday, nay, this WEEKEND'S atrocious behavior, the whining, the needling, the gnashing of teeth that has occurred within the walls of our home (and even at CHURCH one had another in tears), they still got happy surprises under the tree. Come last night at supper time, they knew that there was no WAY Mom was going to put anything else under there! So Santa must be real, and must be able to see the good in their hearts, even when they try to push it WAY DEEP DOWN.

We had a family talk last night. I have prayers in that the rest of this week will be better. It has to if we are all going to survive it!

And I know they are kids, they are boys, the whole boys will be boys load of manure people want to dole out to excuse children from developing responsibility for their actions. But if I had a nickel for every time I had to say, "Were you TRYING to make him angry? Then think about these things BEFORE you do them." yesterday, I'd be a wealthy woman. I won't share in this venue what all took place, but let's just say rearranging portions of the nativity to assault a school made decoration was my last straw!

I ask a lot from my boys, and I know that. Mostly because of the genuine, sweet, loving and thoughtful things I have seen them produce without being asked. But also I have a knowledge of the divinity of their souls, of each of our souls, we have a potential most of us don't know about, or want to see.

My favorite quote is prominent on my fridge: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear, is that we are powerful beyond measure." I really believe that, I believe we are that powerful, and not as the world sees power. But that with this kind of power comes responsibility, and we (including myself) shy away from taking that responsibility on. My biggest expectation for my children is to love each other. And love is a verb in our home.

1 comment:

Stinson Family said...

I don't think that it is just boys that act that way around the holidays. I love how you turned it around and talked with them about the love.