Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Down for the count...

again. I've been sick, arguably still am judging by the exhaustion in my muscles and half a stuffy nose. But you can't keep a good man down. Or me, apparently.

So, I left off in a bit of a mood apparently. Well, it may not be much better, round 6, yes SIX of down for the count will do that to anyone. But I wanted to share with you a poem I revere keep on my fridge. I keep it because it can make me laugh, and cry, and laugh so hard I cry. I wish the author was known, I would love to thank her.

A Mother's Prayer
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray my sanity to keep.
For if some peace I do not find,
I'm pretty sure I'll lose my mind.
I pray I find a little quiet
far from the daily family riot.
May I lie back-- not have to think
about what they're stuffing down the sink,
or who they're with or wher they're at
and what they're doing to the cat.
I pray for time all to myself
(did something just fall off a shelf?)
to cuddle in my nice, soft bed
(oh no, another goldfish--dead!)
Some silent moments for goodness sake
(did I just hear a window break?)
and that I need not cook or clean
(well heck, I've got the right to dream).
Yes now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray my wits about me keep.
But as I look around, I know
I must have lost them long ago!
Now, I love my children. I'm grateful they are busy, grateful there are 4 of them, and grateful they are strong, healthy, smart, interesting and exciting! I do not often wish for quiet, because I know, perhaps too well, that the day will come when they are gone from my home, and things will be more quiet than I ever could enjoy. That is why I laugh. and cry. and keep going.

1 comment:

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ditto. Laughing and crying...

Hope you feel better soon...